What is in a Name?

By Kathleen Kranzlin

Almost as soon as Phage Hunting began, it seemed that the recurring theme would be repetition. I had to repeat two steps in particular: streaking, and performing the Titer Assay. Therefore, I can confidently say that I am now an expert on these two techniques. The multitude of repetition also served another purpose: it ultimately helped me decide my phage’s name: Persnickety.

The first couple of weeks of Phage Hunting went well. I found my phage among the dirt procured at the community garden and I proceeded to the next step, streaking. Being the naive and unfamiliar lab student that I was — and still am to some degree — I had no idea what I was getting into. After almost an entire month of streaking, which included extra lab time multiple times a week to make up for being behind, I finally managed to isolate a single plaque morphology. Interestingly enough, none of my streaks were riddled with bacterial contamination. Instead, my phage refused to behave; they always merged together and resisted isolation. How many streaks did I do in total, one might ask. I had streaked eight times, with each set of streaks including streaks of at least two plaques. Nevertheless, I had finally procured my three solid streaks: T-streak #3, T-streak #5, and T-streak #8.

Finally, I could move on to the next step, but luck was not on my side. After suspecting that my first Titer Assay would result in contamination, I was advised to perform a second one. Two days later, I took out my plates from Titer Assay 1 and Titer Assay 2 and proceeded to laugh. Once again, I would be repeating the Titer Assay. The first TA resulted in contamination, much like what was suspected. The second Titer Assay had really weird results; the only plates with plaques were my 10-3 plate (which had two) and the 10-5 plate which had one and all the other plates had a lawn of bacteria. So, like streaking, I went back and repeated the Titer Assay. Two days later, I was once again laughing at my luck. The plates from Titer Assay 3 were half cleared, and showed no sign of clear plaques. Once again, I was back to performing the procedure that I had become all too familiar with. However, in the next lab period luck was on my side. Not only did I have a beautiful Titer Assay, but I had also found a perfect web plate, 10-2. Thankfully, after a little over two weeks, I could move on to finding my Medium Titer Lysate.

For the rest of the procedures until Phage Olympics, my phage behaved and I did not have to repeat any of the steps with the except of DNA purification—my first DNA only had 86.3 ng/μl. When it came time for me to choose my name, I looked back on my lab time and realized how fussy my phage had been in the beginning steps. Therefore, the name Persnickety was born. With luck now on my side, I was able to finish on time (thanks to some extra lab sessions) and Persnickety competed in the Phage Olympics.

My most useful Streak: T-Streak #8

My most useful Streak: T-Streak #8

Weird results from TA 3….

Weird results from TA 3….

Lucky TA number 4!

Lucky TA number 4!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in From the Phage Hunters. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s