By Shi (Andy) Huang
Wow. I think I am literally one of last in class in terms of isolation procedures. I don’t blame myself. My SCPB-7,”Super Crazy Powerful Billy,” plaque just infects like crazy.
Like mostly everyone, I obtained my plaque soil sample from the local garden on Charles Street. Everyone followed the same procedures, but some were unluckier than others.
I was one of the unfortunately few, including my fellow lab buddy Thomas (HTZ), who had very fast spreading plaques that would annihilate the entire M. smeg culture plates.
At first, I concluded that it is because I streaked incorrectly (I had originally designed my own strange streaking method which didn’t work so well); or I pressed down too hard… But no matter what procedure I performed or altered, such as (Bach/Fisher) T-streak or the classical streaking, nothing worked. That frustration . . . I was so behind.
Dr. Fisher introduced me to plan B, an alternative way to defeat this bad Billy.
Dilution to the 10-10! After three long and exciting dilutions, I have finally isolated tiny, single plaques! Finally!!! But then I realized, oh darn, I am still behind everyone by at least a good two to three weeks…
Currently, I am doing a titer assay.
I may be behind, but my plaque is crazy powerful. Watch out. Slow and steady wins the race.